Saturday, October 16, 2010

Travel Endorsements.....

I just came home from Florida. I was on a business trip to a trade show, and I discovered a few things about traveling that I would like to share with my beloved audience.

I begin with transportation to and from the airport. I used to be very frugal about it; I would first try to hit up my friends for a ride. Often I could coerce someone into the trip, but by and large (or is it by IN large?) people would always have a reason to not participate in my travel. And who can blame them, really? Driving to LAX is nothing short of a death wish. People somehow lose all focus when they are diving to pick someone up; the dashed lines separating the road into something called lanes; and the blinkers that all cars (I am pretty sure all cars have them) have are used to indicate to other drivers where you would like to turn-- these are things that do not exist in airport world. So, I began to take myself and park at the airport. The first couple of times I decided to be frugal (okay, CHEAP) about the whole thing and I parked in the far away lot. Christ- I could have walked to the airport faster than the "shuttle" could have driven me there. And the way back is so much worse...I had to remember where I parked my car....are you kidding me? I can't even remember if I locked my front door or remembered to check out of the hotel room....now you want me to remember where I parked my car over a week ago in a vast cement wastefield where every row looks the same? There have been many a wasted hours walking around that stupid parking lot looking for my car.....

So I decided to treat myself to parking at The Parking Spot. I chose valet- because, why not? Let me tell you something- when you travel, go to The Parking Spot! No hassle, the bus drivers load and unload my bags (because I am such a wimp it truly is a struggle to get my suitcase off of the ground and into the trunk!!) They drop you off for your flight, then they pick you up and have your car waiting for you! It's amazing....and highly recommended.

Next thing, I had the chance to flying Virgin Atlantic to Orlando for the trade show. That was the best flight ever! I sat in an exit row, and no one sat next to me. So I had three seats to myself- a glorious luxury not often experienced in today's airline economy! And then I asked for a water, not at the predetermined beverage service; the flight attendant pointed to the screen that was in front of me and told me to order a water because it helps them keep track of their inventory. So all I had to do- to order anything- from food that I had pay for to movies, to TV to drinks to "on the house" refreshments. So I could order something without ever having to actually speak to another person. It was spectacular, the answer to all of my prayers!

No comments: