Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Woe is the economy......I guess

The Academy Awards were this past weekend. I understand that the industry that is Hollywood, but it seems like the ever widening gap between us and them has become a chasm. I watched the preparations for about a month before the event. There would be street closures, pre-parties, post parties, limos, contingency plans for contingency plans for contingency plans. There would be the elite- the royalty, if you will, arriving in their limos and I can't help about King Louis the 16th in Paris. His kingdom was crumbling, people were starving, but dont you worry- he had enough food so he could give his spoiled rotten leftovers to help. Here is our royalty, movie makers, stars, the Hollywood limelight. They leave their castles and arrive to the event in Bentley's, Aston Martin's, and other cars that I don't even want to know about it.

Then they begin to get out of the cars and talk about where they got their shoes, who did whose dress, hair, makeup and accessories. Hollywood Blvd has been closed down for two days for preparation (I guess we don't need to worry about those shop owners). Hollywood is on practical lockdown,keeping the normal hollywood riff raff at bay. So then all the bazillion-aires begin to show up and show the world what hollywood is all about. But.....I must say, in the midst of all of this extgravagence...we are still realizing double digit unemployment rates. People who can't pay their rent and are moving back home with their parents because they have been unemployed for four months (despite two degrees) and can't pay their student loans AND rent without an income. These people- these are the people of Los Angeles. These people are me, and my crew. We don't want to see people show up in a $50,000 dress so I can talk about how trashy she looks in the bubble wrap type of fabric while I eat my raman noodles (because that's all I can afford).

I drive down the street and see more young people in super expensive cars, living in really nice areas, and I am trying to figure out what they are doing in order to secure that lifestyle. I barely go out because I can't afford it. So where is this tightening of the economy? I certainly isn't hitting hollywood (Michael Jackson funeral....case in point). It's not hitting my boss who would now like to put in exercise equipment in the shop. That's a great idea to put a gym in the shop-- the same shop where my painters come to pick up their checks (mind you we pay the average painter about $14-$18 an hour, NO benefits, NO overtime)because they have their rent to pay and Chris is on an elliptical telling the team that we need to be more fiscally responsible as a team. REALLY........holy shit- how can I even look at these men in the eyes when they just want to be treated fairly, and respected. But, the economy is down, so no raises (unless you are an estimator and have long legs...then maybe). No additional benefits......nothing for anyone who is not part of the club. Because woe is the economy. I wonder if the club is thinking about these issues on the back 9?

No comments: